Thursday, August 09, 2007

Finally, the birth story...

I have been such a bad blogger these days. I am hoping as Missy starts sleeping more that I will be better. Anyway I figured it was high time to do the birth story post. (Then I can start working on all the other posts that are flying around in my head!) I have also been trying to catch up with everyone and I am glad to see that there has been some good news and I am saying a prayer for all those that have yet to have their dreams come true in IF land. I have about 1034 posts to go, so bare with me I will eventually catch up!

Well I can't remember where I left off, but lets just say the week before Missy's birth was not much fun for me. (So go back to June gals). The week before the girl was schedule to be c-sectioned things got a little stupid around here. First of all the lady that was taking care of my boys was falling asleep when I was talking to her, now I wasn't to worried as I was at least at home. (Although I was still 'hiding out' as she didn't want me around when she was taking care of the boys... ugg) So anyway the plan was she was to take care of the boys on c-section day (June 21st) and then my mom would come over for the evening.

Well my mother being the crazy lady that she is decided to make her own plans with my babysitter. Hello who's kids are they anyway? Needless to say I really didn't want her hanging out around the hospital anyway in the morning. I wanted some time to recover and spend some time with the new addition before she showed up. Well anyway I decided to mention that I was worried about leaving the boys longer with my babysitter due to the fact she seems very tired. Well my mother wouldn't hear anything when I tried to tell her what I wanted to do. I tried so hard to talk to her in a reasonable way the Friday before she was born but she wouldn't listen.

We were planning a nice weekend with the four of us (the boys, dad and I) but that wasn't to be. I will NEVER forgive crazy lady for what she pulled next. Since she wouldn't talk to me on the Friday I made the mistake of calling her on Friday to arrange things for Thursday. I was again trying to be nice about the whole thing. All I said was I was worried about leaving the boys all evening with the babysitter, then she went off on me and started screaming. Things got really nasty and I am not even sure why. I guess it was because she didn't get her way? (She has already started throwing stuff back in my face that my hubby said to her, but that's another post). Needless to say hubby took the phone and let her have it. It ruined my entire weekend, I know I shouldn't let her have that power but it was incredibly stressful. I wasn't even sure if she was going to look after the boys at all until the day before. She is quite the piece of work that's for sure. I am still so angry that she decided to pull that crap the weekend before I was to have Missy. It made for a very stressful week. I don't think I calmed down until after I had the 'girl'. I truly was an awful way to spend the week. (What didn't I go through enough crap to have my kids that I have to put up with her? Now that I am a parent I can't even begin to imagine treating any of my children like that!)

Well enough about that, lets head on to the good stuff. Well the day before my scheduled section I had to go to the hospital for a pre-admission clinic (how exciting, note the sarcasm!). I was the first one there and the last one to leave, my nurse forgot about me I guess. I even had to go ask for my time to leave. I was 'lucky' enough to be across from a gal that was expecting twins, she had just got married and her and her husband were surprised to find out they were having two, she also had a 6 year old from a previous relationship. (Those curtains just don't stop sound from traveling to far!)

It was really hard being across from her knowing that I had lost one of my twins, I really wasn't sure how I would feel after the baby was born. I was quite worried that I would be upset. Anyway after wasting a couple of hours and having to listen to the rest of the gals talk about their birth questions I was more than ready to get the frig out of there! The saving grace was I was the first one in the morning to have my section! 8am!

We headed off to the hospital around 5:30am (we live about 45mins to an hour away)... I was overwhelmed but not as much with the boys. We arrived and they did all there stuff. (Note that catheter insertion is much easier when there is only one in there! I was quite glad that it wasn't as painful as with the boys!) Every one was on time and no emergencies so we were off to the races so to speak!

I went into the OR and they started to get me ready. I was able to walk in this time, with the boys I had to be in a wheel chair and for some reason I started uncontrollable shaking the last time. I was quite glad not to be shaking this time. It took a while before the anesthesiologist made his way in. I was doing really well, but the waiting was starting to make me nervous and I was on the verge of tears. I had a student nurse that was trying to keep me busy by talking, that helped a little. I just wanted to get on with it already! (It was nice that I was not as scared as I was with the boys.) It seems like it took forever before they started. I was really impressed with my OB. She brought in a Sr. partner from her practice in as she was concerned since she nicked my bladder the last time. They talked for quite some time before they actually started.

It seemed like it took forever. I finally asked the anesthesiologist if they were 'in' yet. I was getting anxious to find out if we were having a girl or boy. (I previously had thoughts that we were having a girl, but at my 18 week u/s the tech kept referring to the baby as a boy. So I was sure it was a boy) My OB warned me that she was going to take her time this time, and boy did she. It seemed like I spent a lot longer in there this time than last. Finally I felt the big 'push' on the belly and I knew that I would know soon what we were having. (I didn't remember that one with the boys until it happened then I knew what it meant!) Finally my Dr. said it's a girl. My hubby and I looked at each other, I was about to ask if she got it right when someone else said it's a girl. I was in shock. I was expecting that it would be a boy after the 18 week U/S.

This time the warmer for the baby was behind my head so I was able to watch while they finished with me. Then they gave her to my husband and we all stayed together (much different than with the boys, I liked this experience much better already). She came out sucking, when they handed her to Lindsay she was already sucking on her hand. Yikes, my nipples should have been worried! :) We were all together and they gave me to her when they moved me to recovery. She never left my site all day it was wonderful, much better than having your babies whisked away shortly after you caught a glimpse of one of them.

She was quite a trooper, she even fed when I was in recovery (I think my poor nipples are still red, she wanted to feed all the time!). I was glad to see that I would only be in recovery for the normal amount of time (Again much better than the 2 days I spent in there after the boys)! We then headed off to my room, once we were all settled the nurse bathed her and we got to spend the rest of the day together. It was nice that it was first thing in the morning so we had all day to spend together. Unfortunately my hubby wasn't staying the night due to the issues with my mother so he headed home to feed the boys and spend some time with them. I was sad to see him go although I really enjoyed the time we spent together during the day, and I really enjoyed spending some alone time with my daughter, I never had that with the boys. It was an amazing day. (Unfortunately crazy lady and my dad came up in the evening but they were well behaved, they only came to see Missy anyway.)

The next day my hubby brought up the boys to meet their new sister. They were awesome with her, hugs, kisses and one even cried when she did as he was worried about her. They were only slightly interested in Mom! :)

I spent a lot of time alone with Missy. I really enjoyed it. Only one family member came up to see us and two of our friends. I was slightly miffed as it was as though she wasn't as important because she wasn't a twin. It made me sad, it was as though she wasn't as important. Like I said though I will enjoy the time we got to spend together as I knew when we got home life would be a little busier.

It did take us a while to get used to saying her instead of him...

That's about it for her birth story...



At 4:07 p.m., August 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad the birth of your daughter was such a good experience. I am sorry about your mom. I hope she is backing off a bit now.

At 3:18 p.m., August 10, 2007, Blogger Lut C. said...

Thanks for sharing your story!

At 7:47 p.m., August 10, 2007, Blogger Patience said...

What a wonderful story!w

At 7:55 p.m., August 12, 2007, Blogger Nico said...

It sounds like Missy's actual birth was a really lovely experience. Yay! I'm sorry your mom was so negative.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home