Tuesday, October 10, 2006

ER done! Transfer done! Home at last...

Sorry about the long time between updates. Trailer living can be interesting, actually more like little tiny trailer living! I could sit on the floor in my trailer and reach the fridge, table, sink, bed and almost the bathroom door! But that's not what you want to know is it?

Well I had my ER on Friday Oct 6th. If you haven't been through an ER yet don't read this as I had some issues you really don't need to know about! They gave me extra drugs before at.iv.an and ox.yco.tton (don't know how you spell that one). They didn't do anything! They did manage to get an IV in this time though so I figured I was set. Boy did I figure wrong. I have never felt pain like that in my life. They did give me a 'top-up' of the medication that they were pumping through the IV but they didn't wait for it to kick in, the dr. just kept 'sucking' out those eggs. I could feel the needle poking into my ovary it felt like they were using a steak knife. It's hard to believe something so small can hurt so freaking bad. I ended up having to stay at the clinic a bit longer as every time I stood up I thought I was going to pass out. This is definitely the last retrieval for me, I just hope we get one 'sticky' one out of it. Is this common? How do you gals go through so many ER's? I have been told that I have a very high pain tolerance but I sure felt like a wimp on Friday! I am just glad that is over with!

So they retrieved 10 eggs, 2 were immature. They transferred 2 on Monday(Oct 9th) and froze 6. It was my birthday so I am hoping that my b-day present is one 'sticky embie!' LOL! Hubbs didn't even wish me a happy b-day until we were waiting after our transfer. He said he was so busy he forgot... no card either... to busy he said. I was a little sad as he has know about my b-day for a while! :( To top it off we had to travel home (4hrs) after our transfer yesterday and he was some grumpy when we got home. I guess I will cut him some slack as it has been a busy week!

The transfer was interesting. It was almost 45 minutes late due to some poor woman that had a hour and 1/2 retrieval in the morning. I had my bladder set to be full for my transfer time at 1pm. It wasn't good! I was still swollen from the retrieval so a full bladder was not a good thing. So I am getting ready for the procedure and empty a little first (thank goodness!).

So picture this! First of all they ran out of the leggings that they usually give you. Now since I was staying in a trailer and I knew about the leggings I didn't worry to much about shaving my legs. Oh crap now I have to wander around with my nice stark white legs with nice black hair that I am sure you could see for miles! Normally this would have mortified me, but there was NOTHING I could do about it. Umm excuse me Mrs. nurse since you don't have leggings do you happen to have a razor I could borrow! :) Well onto the table I got, still trying not to pee. I am lucky I have mrs. pushy that U/S probe REALLY good nurse. So I am now REALLY trying not to pee on the doctor. (The embriologist was quite a card and said that the dr. was very absorbent. I am sure the dr. would have been thrilled by that comment but he wasn't there yet!) Well they get me all 'ready' to go and they can't get my cervix so 'stay' (What the heck is it a dog? Stay cervix stay). They were just about to get out the NASTY TOOL to hold it in place when the dr. decided to let me go pee again and see if that helped. So 'out' goes all the dr.'s 'tools', and hairy legged me goes off to the bathroom again. That extra bit of water I drank wasn't such a good idea I guess! Then back to the procedure room again (well at least I remembered to take the underwear off this time! Yes during my first retrieval I actually forgot to take the underwear off! No one said I was boring!). Back in 'position' again, 'tools' in, embies in. We are DONE! Back to pick up the trailer and head home finally!

I am still exhausted, can't wait for my afternoon nap today!

Off I go to catch up with everyone's blogs! Thanks for all your support

21 Comments:

At 12:13 p.m., October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the pain during the ER. I can't imagine the discomfort.

On to the 2ww, I'm really pulling for you Soralis, good luck and stay positive!

 
At 12:15 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger DD said...

Most retrievals I've heard of and all the ones at our clinic are done under general anesthesia, not local, so I think that might explain how for some they can keep going back. I could never imagine doing it like you did.

Glad to hear the update and hope that the next 10 days or so go very fast. Happy Birthday, too!

 
At 12:41 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Yeah, I think they do all retrievals in Canada under local anesthesia - in the US they are general. You are a trooper for making it through!

Laughing about your "hairy" legs - I worry about that stuff too - but then I think about how many women are on that table and I don't worry so much. It is all business for them.

Wishing you all the best - will keep checking in on you!

 
At 12:45 p.m., October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy- I'm glad its over and you got through the pain okay. Hope you never have a reason to go through it again (eg, that this works)! Fingers crossed & prayers said.

 
At 1:58 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger GLouise said...

Congratulations on being DONE with the retrieval and transfer!!!!!

LOL on you leaving your undies on during the first retrieval. I wonder what they would do for someone who was already under general anesthesia? cut them off? Yikes!!

Glad you are Baccck, and with good news.

 
At 2:43 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger Lut C. said...

Ack! That ER sounds dreadful, and the transfer only slightly less so.
All in a good cause, so stick embryos, stick!

 
At 4:09 p.m., October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deja vu! I had my ER today- with 10 eggs. My transfer will probably be in 2 days- the day after my birthday. It's like we're in parallel universes. I hope we both get awesome birthday gifts this year!

 
At 4:43 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger Becci said...

Ouch! Now, let's hope there's at least one sticky babe in there!!

 
At 5:30 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger Nico said...

Congrats on the transfer! I'm sorry the ER and transfer weren't so smooth - but hopefully one of them will stick and then you won't care!

 
At 5:43 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

OMG! That retrevial sounds awful. I was knocked out both times thank goodness. I don't think that I could handle it otherwise. You are a much braver woman than I.

Congrats on transfering 2 embies though! I hope that the 2ww passes quickly, and that you have wonderful news for us at the end.

 
At 6:40 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger Keeping The Faith said...

Welcome home! I hope the 2WW goes by quickly for you. I'll be thinking of you and praying for good results.

Happy Birthday!

 
At 6:53 p.m., October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it's over with. Now we'll setle in to wait with you.

My friend has told me that her retrievals hurt more than labour. Yikes! Since our clinic is no longer located in the hospital, there's no anesthesiologist on staff anymore...

 
At 12:43 a.m., October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! Hope you had a great birthday and get the best present ever!
At my clinic they knock you at totally for er, not a full on anaesthetic but enough so that you don't remember. My previous clinic didn't do that and my first er was the most horrific experience EVER....

 
At 3:23 a.m., October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did I cope with ER? General anaesthetic. This is standard at my clinic, and with 34 eggs retrieved, I'm friggin' well glad.

So you know, ovaries have the same sort of pain tolerance/receptors as testicles, being embryologically related. Ask your DH how he'd feel about having his testicles poked with a needle that many times.

But I guess it's all over now, and will hopefully all be worthwhile. The physical pain goes away. The emotional pain is the real worry. Hope there's no more of *that* in your future.

Bea

 
At 4:41 a.m., October 11, 2006, Blogger Angie said...

Sounds like a horrible time, but I'm glad it ended with two embies transferred. Lots of love and best wishes to you!

 
At 7:35 a.m., October 11, 2006, Blogger Courtney said...

WOW I am no not looking forward to my ER now lol!!! My last one was uncomfortable but they gave me laughing gas so I felt nothing.

I have crossed everything thing for you!!!!

 
At 7:36 a.m., October 11, 2006, Blogger Krista said...

So glad that it is over and now you are just waiting. Man, if I had to go through that kind of retrieval I just wouldn't do it. I would be travelling to the US where the have the good sense to knock you out.

 
At 8:21 a.m., October 11, 2006, Blogger Susan said...

I'm wishing lots of good luck to come your way.

Sorry to hear the ER was so painful... yikes.

Fingers crossed!

 
At 9:36 a.m., October 11, 2006, Blogger Barely Sane said...

Congrats on making it thru such a painful ER.

Fingers crossed those embies stick.

Happy Bday!

 
At 1:30 p.m., October 11, 2006, Blogger Steve said...

Congrats on getting this far. I'm sorry your retrieval was so painful. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. I will definitely ask for general anesthesia during mine. Wishing you Happy Birthday and Good Luck. I hope you’ll get the best belated birthday present ever.

 
At 11:57 a.m., October 12, 2006, Blogger Lisa said...

Praying for success for you. I hope the 2ww passes quickly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home