Saturday, September 23, 2006

One down...

Well my first injection was done yesterday (Friday). I can't believe how much I have changed since I first started with IVF back in 2004. I was freaked out if I had to do my injections anywhere but in the comfort of my home. I was so careful to follow all the instructions on the video that was sent along with my meds.

I had all my 'stuff' and was getting ready to go... of course I forgot to use my alcohol swab to clean off the end of the injection container before I attached the needle. Now last time this would have sent me into a major, and I mean major freak out... OMG I ruined it all... This time I figured hmm, should I just forget about it? So I did and went about my business. During our first fresh cycle I held the needle above my belly for about 5 minutes before I got the nerve to jab it in (man was I a woosey back then! :)). Well I was in a hurry as I had to get back to my desk, so there it was all ready to go, jab it in, push the button and I was on my way... no big deal. I think I should be more concerned that it was no big deal that I just injected myself with some hormone to make me produce more follicles than I really should be. That's the only way to attempt to get a baby around this house so I guess it is our normal.

A note about my fertile friend... Ugg!

Well she called me the other day just to tell me that her brothers wife is PG. (Don't know either one of the personally so I am not quite sure why I really had to know right away?). She is a nice gal but since she has been PG it's like she totally forgot about all our struggles. To top it off her brother and his wife are split up. I think she may of had secondary IF (She has a daughter from a previous relationship). He wanted children but she wasn't willing to seek any treatment so I think that is why they split up but I don't know them so I am not really sure. Anyway they are waiting until the baby is born to find out if it is even his... Apparently she hasn't been so faithful, even when they weren't separated. Oh the tangled webs we weave! Why is it that every time I hear about another PG it feels like I have just been slapped in the face. Not that I begrudge anyone a hard won or easy won PG but it just feels like this constant reminder that I am IF.

I am the friend of choice to 'talk to' when my fertile friend needs an ear. I guess now I have to step up to the plate and be a good friend to her even though it means being there for her during her PG. It seems that us IF'ers talk about our issues if and/or when we get PG but we don't make a big whine about everything. My goodness this friend can whine... oooooo I am sick.... ooooo I am tired (yes everything has an oooooo in front of it, you know one of those whiney ooooOOOooOooo sounds!). I think she is now about 6 weeks so it's going to be a long PG for me...especially if this round doesn't work. Now it's not so very bad as I still have a teeny bit of hope that I could maybe have a successful cycle but I am not sure how I will feel if this cycle doesn't work. Do you think she would notice if I didn't answer my phone anymore? :)


Quote of the day
The time to stop talking is when the other person nods his head affirmatively but says nothing.
Henry S. Haskins

(are you just nodding now? :) )

Take care folks!

15 Comments:

At 12:39 p.m., September 23, 2006, Blogger Kris said...

I don't know if this makes me fortunate... but I have no expectant fertile friends- all of mine are through having kids... or are IF like me. It's sad that I have good company.

I used to be much more cautious about the injections, too. And oh-so-anal about the timing. I used to set an alarm so I'd take my meds at the EXACT SAME TIME everyday. Now I'm like, "Oh, shit! I almost forgot to inject!"

Hope this cycle goes well for all of us.

 
At 2:52 p.m., September 23, 2006, Blogger Rumour Miller said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

 
At 3:13 p.m., September 23, 2006, Blogger DD said...

I started injecting again as well. Even though it's been almost 9 mos since the last time I took this kind of rx, it came back to me like the proverbial bike-riding. It kinda sucks in a way.

*sigh*

Are you nodding your head silently now, too?

 
At 5:23 p.m., September 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at the oooOOOooooOOo I swear I have a friend who does EXACTLY that! Too funny.....
Isn't it incredible just how casual we become about our jabs? I find it funny that at the beginning of our ivf journey I couldn't even give myself an injection, now I won't let the boy anywhere near me with a needle and do them all myself! I was so pathetic!

 
At 6:49 p.m., September 23, 2006, Blogger Kellie said...

Fertile friends stink...

Glad your shotting up again.

 
At 9:30 p.m., September 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fertile friends- gotta love em. Glad the shot went well.

 
At 3:00 a.m., September 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nodding my head to the pg friend .. hey it works have you tried it with her ooooooooooooo I'm so blahblahblah's? it may help save your sanity the next 8 months could be long real long otherwise.

wishing you every luck that this cycle will be a great one, i think one of the only benefits of doing this a few times is that the carefactor for timing/swabbing and ocd'ing stops.

 
At 7:19 a.m., September 24, 2006, Blogger Angie said...

Fertile friends can really ruin a good day! Good luck with the injections!

 
At 9:13 a.m., September 24, 2006, Blogger Nico said...

Glad you're not as nervous about the injections this time around!

Fertile friends really do suck. Just before I got pg I found out about four, yes FOUR oops pregnancies. I was ready to rip someone's eyes out when one of them started telling me about how obviously the key to getting pregnant is not to be trying. Yes, thank you VERY much for that insight. I'll be sure to give that one a whirl!

 
At 6:41 p.m., September 24, 2006, Blogger Bea said...

Wow, you are good to her. I think not answering the phone is entirely excusable under some circumstances. It's great that you're strong enough to do that for her, though.

Bea

 
At 7:52 a.m., September 25, 2006, Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Ahhhh, the sign that you are a true injectable veteran...no alcohol swab. Glad to hear that at least that part of IVF has gotten a little easier for you.

Can't believe this woman is only 6 weeks along and is already complaining. If it were me, I would definitely stop answering my phone for a while! You must have the patience of a saint, my dear.

Good luck with your cycle!

 
At 12:46 p.m., September 25, 2006, Blogger Serenity said...

First off, congrats on the first injection!

Fertile friends are stupid. 'Nuf said. :)

 
At 8:28 a.m., September 26, 2006, Blogger beagle said...

Wow, you're off an running . . . good luck!

 
At 5:40 p.m., September 26, 2006, Blogger dawnatello said...

good good luck. i hope you have another set of twins!! hee hee

 
At 1:46 p.m., September 27, 2006, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

It's great that you are such a good and compassionate friends but make sure you look after yourself. Sometimes friends can take advantage of our good nature and want to talk at us, no to us and hear how we are feeling.

Really hoping for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home