Friday, June 02, 2006

A conversation with dr. we aren't smart enough yet...

Well I figured it was time to update you on my conversation with my Dr. Overall it was a good conversation despite there was no answers to any of my questions (which I expected). (My snotty remarks may not seem like it was a good conversation but it actually was... I have to add some humor in there for my own sake!)

So here it is

Me: So given that I have had so many failed cycles and only one good one do you think it's a good idea to do another fresh cycle?

Dr: Well you have twins so that is pretty good?

In my head: (I didn't ask if twins was good I was asking about my failed cycles! Knock knock anyone listening? I should have knocked on the phone! LOL)

Me: Yes but I am still wondering about my failed cycles

Dr: Well actually even on a good day our reproductive systems really aren't that good. There may have just been two good eggs retrieved that time around.

In my head: (Ya think?)

Dr: .... adds a whole bunch of info on how hard is actually is to get PG.

In my head: (No really? Tell that to the neighbour with the truck driver hubby that is never home that is expecting her 6th!)

Me: Have any of my cycles shed some light on my unexplained infertility?

Dr: Sorry no, in some cases it does but in your case we still have no answers, we just aren't smart enough yet.

In my head: (New name Dr. Not Smart Enough Yet... or Dr NSEY for short)

Me: Do you think that we have any chance in another fresh cycle.

Dr NSEY: It's really a crap shoot, you have twins so that's a good sign. ... other stuff I forget... after you are all done you will probably get PG on your own anyway.

Me: Really you think so after 11 or so years trying?

In my head: (WTF a fertility Dr. saying that?? Meanwhile I am thinking give me a call when monkeys fly out of your butt because then I should starting trying because we will get PG for sure.)

Dr NSEY: ... I am not listening right now, still flabbergasted by the last comment

In my head: (Oh sure put the thought in my head that I could get PG naturally.... I didn't know quitting IF treatments was a cure to infertility HA HA HA!!!)

... and just a bunch of other boring stuff.

Now we are just waiting for our list of tests we need to have done!

Quote of the day
When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680), quoted in O Magazine, October 2002

Warning kids discussed

Well after almost 12 months of house arrest I did it... I went out almost every day this week. I am so proud of myself! I also need a nap! :)

Take care
S

17 Comments:

At 2:17 p.m., June 02, 2006, Blogger Barely Sane said...

Isn't it utterly amazing the stupid crap that comes out of a supposed RE that's in 'the IF business'? If you ever do get pg on your own, you'll need to call him and ask if monkeys flew out of his butt that day! LMAO!

At least he admitted he wasn't smart enuf yet!!

 
At 2:29 p.m., June 02, 2006, Blogger Becci said...

LOL you should just start calling him dr. monkey butt. Sheesh!

 
At 4:13 p.m., June 02, 2006, Blogger Kellie said...

God doctors can be so retarded at times. It's really hard to tell they are so well educated. I think it should be a job for an infertile woman, at least we'd know what stupd things NOT to say.

Good job leaving the house - do you feel human again? lol.

 
At 6:11 p.m., June 02, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

I can't believe it. I agree with the "dr. monkey butt" Unbelievable that he could actually say that...you can't see me, but I am shaking my head and rolling my eyes.

Good grief!

 
At 6:28 p.m., June 02, 2006, Blogger Shauna said...

Even fertility doctors say the stupidest things. But the truth is that they're never going to say what we want them to say. There's never going to be any guarantees. They'll never tell you that your chances are good/better/great.

It sucks.

On another note, I am soooo tired of the stories about the "friend who tried for years and once they stopped trying POOF! they got pregnant."

Sick to death.

 
At 11:02 a.m., June 03, 2006, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Isn't amazing that doctors who are so well educated can make such rediculous remarks? For crying out loud (insert eye roll here.)

 
At 2:22 p.m., June 03, 2006, Blogger Rumour Miller said...

amazing how hard it is to just get outside

 
At 2:40 p.m., June 03, 2006, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

LOL at your conversation. Was he doing a crossword puzzle while he was talking to you?!

So glad you got out and about this week - after reading about your trip to the bank, I have no doubts that you need some rest this weekend!! :)

 
At 9:18 a.m., June 04, 2006, Blogger Thalia said...

Sounds like a deeply unsatisfactory conversation, I'm so sorry. I'm always amazed at the hokum these fertility docs come out with. Mine are always telling me to relax and be hopeful. To which I say **&$%$^%$.

I hope the additional tests can answer some of your questions.

 
At 9:59 a.m., June 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say congrats for getting out so much. That is quite and achievemnet.

 
At 4:30 p.m., June 04, 2006, Blogger Pixxiee said...

Honestly - all RE doctors need to do a course to teach them how to handle infertiles!

Good for you for not giving him too much crap!

Hugs
Paula

 
At 2:40 p.m., June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe he uttered the words, "you'll probably get pregnant on your own" to you. Wow. Thinking of you.

 
At 2:41 p.m., June 05, 2006, Blogger Serenity said...

O.M.G. I agree with miraclebaby... Call him Dr. Monkeybutt. Yeesh.

And anyone who says "you'll get pregnant on your own when all is said and done" should be kicked in the kneecaps - much less a FERTILITY PROFESSIONAL! Oy.

But congrats for getting out so much!

 
At 3:06 p.m., June 05, 2006, Blogger Angie said...

Doctors are supposed to be the smart ones here. Ridiculous!

 
At 5:34 p.m., June 05, 2006, Blogger OvaGirl said...

How incredibly frustrating! Love that advice about you now getting pregnant on your own!

 
At 9:44 a.m., June 06, 2006, Blogger GLouise said...

Weird comments from the doc! Gee- you could have gotten the same advice from my next door neighbor instead of paying for it :-)

Have fun on your trip!

 
At 1:44 p.m., June 06, 2006, Blogger Demeter said...

soralis, it is truly amazing how very few answers doctors have, but it is a fact. They know very little about our reproductive systems and once and for all we have to dimistify the myth of "doctors know it all".
I don't think they deserve what they charge. They should charge according to the success rate. If they have 0% success, they should return all the money to their patients. Just an idea!
You seem to be recovering already and sound optimistic, so that is a good sign.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home