Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Our Journey - Part 4

Our Journey to have a family - My Delivery - Part 4

I was huge. I was getting to the point I didn't know how I could possibly make it through another day. My last dr.'s appt I had elevated protein in my urine so I was admitted that day, July 20th. I was only 35 weeks and 3 days, I was hoping to make it a few more but by this point I was DONE!!

On July 21st I went for an ultrasound in the morning and the dr. came to see me at 4pm, we were scheduled for a c-section at 4:30pm that day. Cody was born at 4:54pm weighing in at 7lbs and Chase was born at 4:55pm weighing in at 5lbs 5ozs. They actually had to push Chase back in as he was trying to come out at the same time as Cody. They were actually born more like a second apart!! It was quite an experience. Hearing them cry was quite amazing. I got to see Cody on their way to the nursery but I never did get to see Chase, just the way he was being held.

I was expecting to see the boys when I was out of recovery in about an hour; unfortunately I was to spend 2 days in recovery. The last few months of my pregnancy had taken its toll on my body and now I was about to find out how much. I never did get to see Chase that day as they were unable to bring him out to see him. I spent a couple of days being monitored closely and going for a lot of tests. I was having blood pressure and breathing problems. I spent a good part of the first night shaking too, that wasn't much fun. At one time, I had IV's in both of my arms and I even had to have my catheter replaced as I wasn't having any output! My bladder was nicked during my surgery so I ended up with the catheter for 10 days or so.

The boys did really well and were on room air right from birth, they did need a feeding tube for 5 days but after that, they were good. They had to learn to suck. They stayed in the nursery for a while then they were moved to my room. I spent my time trying to gain my strength back. I didn't walk out of my room until the day I went home, I had quite a time out of it. I had to use a walker for quite some time too, that was no fun at all.

Lindsay stayed with me almost the entire time, once the boys moved to my room I needed his help. I couldn’t carry the boys just yet. July 28th the boys moved into my room, in retrospect I should have waited another day or so until I got a little stronger but I was glad to have them with me.

Finally, on August 2nd we got to go home!! What a tiring day. I had to go for a test to make sure my bladder was fixed before I got to go home, and I finally got my catheter out! It was quite and emotional trip home, we finally had our family.

See Part 5 – The First 5 months


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home